A three-year-old girl suffered first and second degree burns during a swimming lesson at First Strokes Swim Schools in Stanway. The girl was sitting at the edge of the pool waiting for the lesson to begin when she began to complain that her leg was sore and had to be taken to Colchester General Hospital.
Investigation following the incident found that maintenance work had been undertaken earlier in the day by a contractor using sodium hypochlorite to hand dose the pool. The dosing had been carried out by tipping an unknown quantity from a 20 litre drum into either end of the pool. This resulted in some of the chemical being spilt on the pool side.
First Strokes Swimming was issued with two improvement notices for failing to have COSHH assessments and a safe system of work for hand-dosing with water treatment chemicals.
The School plead guilty to offences under the Health and Safety at Work act and was fined £10,500 plus costs and victim surcharge amounting to £2520 after the late submission of revised documentation that was deemed unsuitable by the investigator.