Islington Borough Council has been sentenced after admitting a role in an incident at a London school where a boy was left with serious hand injuries. Southwark Crown Court heard that on 25 March 2014, a twelve year old schoolboy was in a design and technology class making animal shapes out of plywood. The class used hand saws and some were using a belt sanding machine.
The court heard the schoolboy was using the machine for the first time, along with fellow pupils. They were shown how to use it by a fellow pupil and none knew the purpose of the metal guard for the sanding belt which was in a raised position.
When the schoolboy put the shape to the belt, it flipped downwards into the gap pulling his left hand forward and trapping it between the shape and the belt. The top of the boys left hand middle finger had to be amputated down to knuckle and was absent from school for several weeks.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuting said the teacher had not received adequate training to recognise that the machine was in an unsafe condition or recognise the risk of allowing pupils to use the machinery unsupervised and without suitable training. The design and technology class had been without a technician for 8 weeks prior to the incident; on the day of the incident the teacher was supervising the class alone.
London Borough of Islington pleaded guilty to breaches of Section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and was fined £200,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £19,865.