The International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) has approved a global measure aimed at improving workplace safety and reducing risk.
ISO 45001 is the world’s first Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) international standard which will help thousands of organisations to provide a safe and healthy workplace for their employees and other affected people; preventing deaths, work-related injury and ill-health and to continually improve OH&S performance.
Regardless of company size and stature, ISO 45001 aims to fulfil objectives for any type of organisation by;
- Improving its ability to respond to regulatory compliance issues
- Reducing the overall costs of incidents
- Reducing downtime and the costs of disruption to operations
- Reducing the cost of insurance premiums
- Reducing absenteeism and employee turnover rates
The standard blends EHS management systems such as OHSAS 18001 and ISO 9001. The new standard is to be implemented in March 2018 with a three year transition period for those businesses accredited to OHSAS 18001.