News & Views

Guest scalded in hotel bath

MM
BY Michael Moran
Health & Safety

An elderly resident staying at the Victoria Hotel in Holkham suffered what were described as “catastrophic” scalding injuries while having a bath, leaving him with severe scars.

An investigation into the incident identified that the water temperature had not been regulated in spite of their consultant making the hotel aware of the risk and the need to install temperature regulating valves and provide appropriate warning signage.

During the investigation it was identified that the situation had been exacerbated by legionella management arrangements that had been implemented and which had contributed to the scalding risk.

The hotel plead guilty to two charges under Health and Safety at Work Act and was fined £50,000.  Since the incident the hotel has taken steps to carry out remedial work and provide warning signage to prevent a recurrence.

About us

As trusted experts in employment law, HR and health & safety, we offer a range of flexible employee relations services under one roof. By delivering top quality, all-inclusive fixed-fee advice, we enable employers to take quick, confident and decisive action.
 

Read more

Areas of Expertise

Employment Law

Find out more

HR Consultancy

Find out more 

Health & Safety

Find out more