An Arbroath leisure centre has been fined £234,000 after admitting liability for health & safety failings in relation to the death of a six year old boy in 2011 at a swimming pool run by them.
Aidan Yule was found unconscious in the pool. CCTV showed him slipping under the water and despite the fact that he was spotted less than a minute later, efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.
An extensive investigation was untaken into the circumstances of Aidan’s death, including the commissioning of an expert independent report. This found that no adequate risk assessment had been carried out and little consideration had been given to potential risk. In addition, staff had not been adequately trained, there was inadequate supervision of users of the pool and a lack of lifeguards.
The consequences of these failings were tragic in this case and a reminder to all employers, but particularly those in high risk environments like leisure centres, to ensure that health & safety is given the proper priority it requires.