Covid-19

Coronavirus: Employer’s resource centre — live guidance available here

Company director fined after residents exposed to carbon monoxide

LC
BY Lee Craig
Health & Safety

A construction company director has been fined for leaving a gas boiler at a domestic property in a dangerous condition as he worked to build an extension, placing residents of the property at serious risk of ill health and carbon monoxide poisoning.

During construction work on a domestic building, the safe working condition of the gas boiler and flue was affected when Coulson Constructions North East Ltd failed to make the gas system in the house safe before or during the construction work, allowing the fumes and poisonous gases from the boiler to flow into the house.

 

David Coulson, Director of the company was not Gas Safe registered and pled guilty to breaching Section 37 and Section 20 (2)(j) of the Health and Safety at Work Act.  He was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment suspended for 24 months and given 250 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay costs of £5200.

 

The HSE Inspector stated after the hearing that, “Any work on a gas system, including the boiler in our houses, must always be carried out by competent gas engineers, namely those accredited with Gas Safe Registration. Not to do so is both illegal and potentially very dangerous.”

© Copyright of Law At Work 2021 Law At Work is part of Marlowe plc’s employee relations division